Lets talk Breakfast
For those of you who watched Hungry for Change you will be more aware of the evils of sugar, how important breakfast is, and that we need more nutrients for our cells otherwise we keep getting the signal to eat more…….
If you want to lose weight or improve your health I challenge you to address your breakfast habits. Become a swapper and have a green power smoothie and some eggs or, salmon and avocado instead (recipe below). We generally spend more time, money, and effort preparing dinner and lunch then breakfast, when really breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Decades of advertising, product placement, miss informed parental endorsement and habit have you where you are today, time to stop and ask the question “Do I want to be the repeat shopper buying cereal as a dedicated product consumer that food giants want me to be?”
- Motivation – Make a well informed decision then stick to that decision rather then making bad decisions on the spot when you are hungry, tired, stressed, or under peer pressure.
- Have – wellness, high energy, trim athletic body, beautiful skin, quality longevity
- Avoiding – sickness, obesity, cancer, diabetes, headaches etc
- Time – Give your self more time to get ready in the morning
- Sleep is an awesome stress buster and essential for lots of processes in the body
- Be disciplined to get up consistently and start the day, put the alarm clock on the other side of the room!
- Green power smoothie only takes 5min to make including getting ingredients, chopping, etc
- Preparation – have all the fresh ingredients that you need (consider your dirty dozen and clean 15)
- Buy organic, a mix of stores or from your local market, any which way you will still be healthier then production cereal
- Be prepared to occasionally leave out an ingredient or put in a substitute rather then drop your new health habit and fall in to old patterns
- You can always make breakfast and then take it with you
- Effort – take the responsibility for your health and life
- Print this out so you have the ingredients list and that you have it on hand for the first few times till you know it by heart
- It’s only 5min to dedicate to your life sustaining nutrition (pretty important) most people probably already spend that 5min waiting for a coffee or hot chocolate at a cafe already
- Learning new things may seem like extra effort but really they are quite simple, practically just throw it all in
Recipe Posted by Teresa Cutter The Healthy Chef, endorsed by Emma Hicks our cooking expert
Green Power Smoothie
1 green apple, chopped with skin and seeds (200g)
1 big handful baby spinach leaves ( 1 cup – 35 g)
100 g small cucumber – Lebanesese
50 g celery, chopped
1 whole lemon, peeled and chopped or 2 limes.
8 g mint leaves
8 g parsley leaves
1 small slither ginger
1 cup water
1/2 cup ice
Combine all the ingredients into a good high speed blender like a VitaMix. Blend until a lovely, creamy and green.
Serve in a large glass.
garnish with limes or celery stalk and enjoy.
Drink immediately and reap the benefits.
NB: if smoothie is a little thick, just add more water to thin it down.
Protein: 2.6 g
Fat: 0.6 g
Carbs: 27 g
Fiber: 7.1 g
Additional extras: add 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed for a fibre and omega 3 boost, or 1 teaspoon of chia seeds to assist with detoxification.
Today I would like to share with you my favourite breakfast of all time. It’s my GREEN POWER SMOOTHIE that I enjoy most mornings before I start my day along with a serve of protein like a few eggs or some sardines or wild salmon and avocado. What I love about this smoothie is that it’s not full of sugar and greenwash like other store bought varieties. It’s the real deal, the get me healthy hard core type of smoothie that will have you bouncing off the walls in no time.
The American Journal of clinical nutrition suggests eating 5 – 9 serves of salad or veggies a day is ideal and a more effective strategy in prevention and treatment of chronic disease. Evidence also suggests that antioxidants are best acquired through whole-food consumption and not as an over the counter pill, which is why drinking these smoothies work so well. Most of the chopping is done by my favourite kitchen appliance – The VitaMix where you just throw it all in and blend it up with a little ice. You get the benefit of eating whole high fiber foods that stimulate the favorable growth of pro-biotic bacteria to boost your immune system. The word probiotic means prolife, so where possible choose foods that are life giving to your health.
The most nourishing alkaline foods are green vegetables and leafy greens that help improve bone density and serum growth hormone concentrations and also help to prevent muscle wastage. A good diet has always played a vital role in supporting health, which is why it is so important to think about what you put into your mouth every time you eat and drink and whether or not it makes a positive or negative effect to your body. Just remember keep it real, keep it fresh and make it yourself - you are what you eat and fresh food really is your everyday medicine.