Ammata Phathanak graduated from the University of Sydney in 1995 with a Bachelor of Nursing degree and a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Psychology in 2001 at the same University. Further post graduate studies were attended at the University of Western Sydney before attending a two-year internship program with the College of Psychological Practice (COPP) in 2003.
Ammata is currently undertaking a Masters of Applied Science (Health Psychology) degree at the University of Sydney.
With dual qualifications as a Psychologist and as a Registered Nurse Ammata has spent many years working extensively within the mental health and related industries.
Why see a Psychologist?
Psychology treatment aims at applying effective techniques in a range of counselling and therapy for client’s issues and their concerns:
· Stress and stress management
· Pain and pain management
· Adjustment to chronic illness (especially in the aged population and their families)
· Adherence to medical treatment (especially if recently diagnosed with Diabetes, etc.)
· Eating disorders and Body Image
· Coping with dying, death and bereavement (loss and grief issues and palliative care issues, especially in the growing aged population and their families)
· Recovering from accidents and illness
· Health promotion
· Socio-cultural influences on health
How long does therapy take?
This is depended on many factors unique to a person’s situation and circumstances. During the initial consultation (first session) concentrates on understanding what your needs and concerns are and how the problem or issue came about. This session will also examine about you as a person and other things that have been going on in your life and those around you. After your first session I will be able to give you some idea of how many sessions will be required.
During your second appointment we will commence some form of treatment and continue the assessment.
Psychological Modalities utilised in counselling and therapy sessions are:
· Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
· Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT)
· Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT)
· Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
· Motivational Interviewing (MI)
· Problem solving, general guidance and support
Bachelor of Nursing
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
Post Graduate Diploma (University of Western Sydney)
Post Graduate Diploma (College of Psychological Practice)
Master of Applied Science – Health Psychology (in progress)
Registrations & Memberships
Nurses Registration Board of NSW
Member of NSW Nurses Association
NSW Psychologists Registration Board
Associate Member of Australian Psychological Services (Assoc MAPS)
(02) 9938 1090 Reception at the Family Wellness Centre
0403 749 788 Mobile
Appointments with Ammata are available on Mondays at The Family Wellness Centre Shop 1, 33-35 Kentwell Rd, Allambie NSW 2100
If you are experiencing any concerns or issues, you are invited to enquire about how assistance can be provided to help you and your family cope, manage and resolve through treatment by calling The Family Wellness Centre.
Articles by Psychologist